Sunday 28 August 2016

You gotta have faith

Hey Everyone!  

This week was jammed packed so let's get to it. First off we had Zone Conference this week. For those who don't know, Zone Conference is when 2 area's of missionaries or zones (this time it was the Carson and Fallon zones) get together for a good chunk of the day and are trained by the Assistants to the President, a couple of the senior missionaries in the mission office, and then President and Sister Chestnut. It was super fun. There are some pictures of your's truly on the website nevadarenomission.com It was so great. The assistants gave a training on finding, Sister Chestnut gave a training on our thoughts and making sure they are in line with our work, and President Chestnut gave a training on teaching the doctrine in the lessons found in Chapter 3 of Preach my Gospel. It was so awesome. There was a great Spirit there and I found a lot of great inspiration and guidance from the training on finding. We have been working to improve on that this week and I have a neat story to share about that.

Normally our street contacting and tracting has yielded no real results. There has hardly been any interest from the people we talk to so it gets discouraging. From the training though I learned that you can't let yourself become discouraged. You need to press on. In your mind you have to think that this next person you will talk to will be interested. When they aren't, you move on to the next person with the same attitude and enthusiasm. This week was hard because almost all our lessons fell through and our finding was being its usual self. Elder Jones and I though were working to keep our faithful happy attitude. This Saturday while we were stopping by some less actives (who weren't home) we started to go back to our car. We saw an older lady with a walker going down the street and so we decided to go and try to talk to her. We are supposed to talk to everyone and not be hasty so that's what we did. We went up to her and while we were approaching I thought "what should I say to her?" The thought of family history came to mind and I don't really use that much so I decided to give it a shot. When I offered to show her about the family history stuff the church has she said "that sounds very interesting, you guys are Mormon right?" We said yes and she then proceeded to tell us that her family joined the church when she was 9 and she was baptized but a couple years later their family moved to Central America and she hasn't been back since. Lately she had been thinking about coming back to church and learning about it, and that it was very fortuitous that we had run into her. She asked if there was a church here and what time it meets, and we told her tomorrow at 9. She said she would love to go but she didn't have a way of getting there. We told her we would get her a ride to which she was very grateful. The next day she came to all 3 hours of church and loved it. We are meeting with her next week and is very excited to learn all about the church and Book of Mormon.

I am out of time but I just wanted to let you all know that we need to have faith. I gave a talk in the Comstock ward on faith yesterday and it was so amazing to give it. My testimony on faith and my faith in my Savior have grown so much. I truly love serving Him. This is so hard and discouraging at times, but I will not let that get in the way. I will keep my head up and put in my all. It is so hard, but in the end it will be very worth it. I know this because I get little opportunities like this last one where there is great joy and proof that it is worth it. I love you all. Thanks for your prayers and support.


Love,
Elder Kynan Sorochan

No comments:

Post a Comment