Wednesday 16 August 2017

Flame on

August 14, 2017

Well hello everyone! This week is going to be a little all over the place in terms of what I talk about so bear with me, but I promise that it will still be really good.

Firstly I wanted to talk about the theatrics that was Elder Freeman’s departure. As we all know Elder Freeman went home this week, but his departure literally as they say, went up in flames! That’s right. As soon as we stepped outside we looked out across the parking lot and at the buildings right across from us to the right the bushes just burst into flame. We were just uh… that’s not good! We scrambled to try to help get it put out. Someone called 911 and fortunately the building the bushes were right next to did not burst into flame. Elder Freeman was flaming as he left the mission. You might even say say he was on fire at the end of his mission. He was smoking! (he literally did smell like smoke. He ran through it to go knock on some people’s doors) [insert another fire pun here] Ok those were really lame and not even funny so I will move on now.

Something I failed to talk about a couple weeks ago was Ruben and Amanda’s Baby Gender Reveal Party that we got to go to. It was really fun and there was some good food. They are having twins and there will be one boy and one girl! Woohoo! Super fun! Also on Sunday(not yesterday) one of the members in the ward, Brother Smith, made us Ukrainian food! He served his mission in the Ukraine so we had some Green Borsch, Perogies, and Cabbage Rolls! It was all super good. We also Monday night got to eat at the Star. It is this super fancy Basque restaurant and I mean SUPER fancy. You order your food and they bring you out soup, salad, spaggetti, fries, beans, and bread all before your main course comes out. It’s family style and with the first things they will keep bringing you more until you are done. Also with it being Basque (Basque are these people from over in Spain that back in the day came over here and settled so there is a lot of Basque heritage around here) there was garlic all over my steak. (Ha I first typed it out Stake. You know you’re Mormon when :D ) The Basque love their garlic. Good thing I’m a missionary and didn’t need to worry about kissing anyone ;)

After we dropped Elder Freeman off on Tuesday I spent the day going out and working with the 5th ward Elder’s, Elder McGee who is getting transferred to Reno, and Elder Johnson who is training. 8/10 of the Companionships in Elko are training, 7 of them getting brand new greenies with the last one having the person being trained only out 6 weeks so still in the training stages. It is going to be one green zone! We had fun and Elder McGee taught me how to make ties. I made 2 but failed hard on one of them so Elder McGee came in and saved the day by quickly making a third that was good so Elder Lee and I could have matching ties! Oh and yes my new companion is Elder Lee from Lake Orian, Michigan! Last time I had a companion who wasn’t from Utah or Arizona was when I was with Elder Jones. Apparently the only way to get variety in where my companions are from is to train :D

We have had a fun week so far. We had the chance to teach Robin a little bit. She is just going through some heavy opposition but she is reading the Book of Mormon, praying, fasting even, and she came to church all by herself this week for sacrament meeting! She even told us she wants to start staying for Sunday School. Ken and Mary Anne who she normally comes with weren’t able to come on Sunday but she was determined to come because she new that she needed the help church gave her! She has some awesome faith!

We got to meet Mr. Johnston this week too. He says he is from Ireland and we also think that he might have taken a trip to the pub before talking to us if you know what I mean. He was off to paint some blank wall they found in a cave with some spray paint. He admitted it might be a tad illegal but he said he would put a cross right in the middle just for us. How thoughtful!

I guess I should also tell you a little bit more about Elder Lee. He is 18 and just graduated. He likes reading, writing, drawing, and is into making short films with his friends. At school they had this class where they would do their schools tv news thing and do other film stuff. They had a lot of fun and entered film festivals and won awards! It is really cool.

Oh on Saturday we got to help build up more of Joe's deck! I have seen it since it's beginning stages which is really neat to have seen. It is almost done!

Alright my thought for this week is this. I have been pondering on how to improve. One night at dinner we were with the Lewis family. Brother Lewis is actually President Lewis he is our stake president and he is in the 4th ward. With he and his wife we got talking about some things and we got on the topic of daily repentance and talked about it for a little bit. With this I was reflecting back on when Elder Christofferson came. If any of you remember I asked him a question about how to have the Spirit more and he told me to repent. I realized that this one word answer has so much behind it. We need to strive to repent daily so that we are looking for how we can use the power of the Saviors Atonement daily in our lives. If we repent daily we will daily look for what we can do better, ask for that forgiveness of what we did wrong, commit sooner to do better, receive personal revelation on how we can do better, and daily experience the joy that comes from repenting. It takes a little more effort on our part in our daily prayers to be doing this, but if we truly take that time to do it we will feel so much more joyful on a more consistent basis. I have been starting to experience it as I started doing it this past weekend and I am feeling a lot more content. A lot of times we get down on ourselves because we are harrowed up by the pain of our sins. The more we repent, the less time these sins have to work on us, and we will draw even closer to our Savior! I testify that He lives and His arm is always outstretched to each and every one of us at all times, in all things, and in all places. Love you all! Keep being awesome and don't forget to smile! Bye!

Elder Sorochan

 Fire in a bush in our apartment complex



 Elder Freeman signs the companionship jersey

 Elder Lee (my new companion)



 Good bye Elder Freeman

Hangin with 5th ward Elders 

 My Steak at the Star



Patio we helped build (This has been going on since I got here)


No comments:

Post a Comment